Tuesday, February 9, 2010

working to independence

I learned something new. During an observation at a Demo Site evaluation (congratulations to Mount Baker Middle School - AVID's newest Demo Site) the emphasis from one of the evaluators was student independence. Tutorials, Socratic Seminars and Philosophical Chairs, binders, time management, etc should all be about getting to independence so students use the skills and knowledge without teacher support. It takes years for sure.

Sometimes I feel like the emperor in the story "The Emperor's New Clothes". Someone is going to walk in to my AVID class and say, "What are you doing in here - this isn't AVID." Getting the students to independence seems like such a daunting goal but I know it is correct. I'm suffering from a lack of confidence at the moment. Thank goodness I have founbd something to work on though - it prevents boredom (he said sacrastically).

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if it is motivating or not, but I'm still working towards independence with my seniors! I think they finally are starting to understand they will be in college in 7 months and are finally taking control of their futures without me needing to prod them as much. Yay!

    ReplyDelete